Foundations on the Hill (FOTH) is an annual two-day opportunity for grantmakers and regional associations to meet with their federal lawmakers face-to-face in Washington, D.C. to personally discuss their work with members of Congress.
Foundations on the Hill:
- Informs and educates Congress about philanthropy
- Creates visibility for foundations and philanthropy on Capitol Hill
- Advocates on issues affecting foundations
- Encourages Congress to view foundations as resources on key public policy issues
This year’s Foundations on the Hill will take place March 12-14, 2018.
CMF President & CEO Rob Collier serves as our state’s delegation captain and creates a full schedule of legislative meetings and opportunities to connect with other foundation representatives from across the nation.
Registration for FOTH is open to Council, Forum and Philanthropy Roundtable/ACR members or non-members who are trustees, executives, and staff of grantmaking organizations and regional associations of grantmakers.
It is critical that elected officials hear from their foundation constituents. By attending Foundations on the Hill, you can develop or strengthen your relationships with your members of Congress and share your views on the latest charitable legislation. Members of Congress are most influenced when constituents from their states or districts advance a cause on behalf of themselves and their national organizations. A meeting in Washington shows an extra level of dedication and commitment to that cause. Philanthropic leaders also learn about the political landscape and hear from experts how to effectively use public policy to advance core values of philanthropy.
- During Foundations on the Hill, regional associations, working with foundation trustees, executives and staff, schedule meetings on Capitol Hill to personally discuss their work with members of Congress
- In addition to congressional meetings, participants attend training sessions, and the Alliance for Charitable Reform Summit for Leaders, a public policy conference on current issues impacting philanthropy and nonprofits, and strategies for effectively advancing philanthropy with policymakers
- Since 2003, the Council on Foundations and the Forum of Regional Associations of Grantmakers have co-sponsored Foundations on the Hill
- In 2013, they were joined by the Alliance for Charitable Reform (ACR), a project of The Philanthropy Roundtable, as co-sponsor – a mark of the sector drawing together with one voice in support of philanthropy