ABOUT MICHIGAN COLLEGE ACCESS NETWORK (MCAN)
Since our founding a decade ago, MCAN has known that college changes everything—and perhaps even more critical to our mission is the belief that college is for everyone. We do what it takes to provide students in Michigan with a brighter long-term future, through college access and postsecondary certificate and degree attainment: doing the research, talking to agents of change, connecting resources, being a changemaker.
Why? By encouraging Michigan residents to earn postsecondary certificates and degrees, we not only help them earn more and promote their well-being—we also strengthen Michigan's talent pool, retain and attract businesses to the state, and stimulate Michigan's economy in the process.
Through college access, we are also able to promote equity in our state. We work to ensure that every student in Michigan has the opportunity to attend college—especially low-income students, first-generation college-going students and students of color.
We are proud to put forth a strategic plan that works to ensure that each and every student across Michigan has access to the knowledge, tools, and support to make college a reality.
VISION AND VALUES
College is postsecondary education
We use the term college to refer to attainment of education beyond high school, including postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary attainment dramatically increases an individual’s economic independence in a knowledge-based economy.
College is for everyone
We work toward changing the systems that perpetuate inequities in postsecondary attainment.
College is a public good
Postsecondary attainment is critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, thriving democracy, and healthy communities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The strategy manager performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to:
- Manage a robust recruitment strategy for national service members, including AdviseMI advisers, College Completion Corps coaches, and AmeriCorps VISTAs.
- Develop and implement a state-wide strategy for attracting high-quality national service talent to MCAN to contribute to our Sixty by 30 goal.
- With support of the program directors and program supervisors, manage and lead the recruitment, interviewing, and placement of advisers, coaches and VISTAs.
- Manage the logistics of the recruitment process including updating position descriptions, outreach and marketing, social media, webinars, the use of online application systems, and candidate screening. Effectively communicate with MCAN staff about recruitment, leveraging them as resources.
- Effectively communicate with site supervisors to share candidate information, advise on hiring decisions, and place candidates who meet the AmeriCorps requirements and are a strong fit for the host site.
- Maintain records on candidates and required paperwork for service.
- With program staff and MCAN HR, manage member and program files as required by AmeriCorps and MCAN’s human resource policies.
- Assist program directors and program supervisors with maintaining pre-service connections with MCAN and their respective service programs.
- Data Management and Evaluation
- Work with service programs to set outcome goals, track and assess these goals on an ongoing basis, and implement strategies to ensure successful completion of service deliverables.
- Oversee ongoing data tracking by members. This includes regular analysis of outcomes to quickly identify if gaps exist, while working with the programs, members, and host sites to implement an improvement plan for increased performance where appropriate.
- Utilize online data management tools.
- Gather and analyze pertinent data to use in recommendations, decision-making, and assessments, regularly sharing data with programs, MCAN, funders, and others.
- Support ongoing program and department evaluation and data-informed continuous improvement.
- Alumni Engagement
- Develop and implement an on-going service program alumni engagement strategy, including communications, outreach, and maintaining alumni records.
- Seek ways to engage alumni in opportunities to support MCAN’s mission.
- Connect alumni with currently serving members for mentorship and professional development.
- Contribute to and participate in the intensive orientations and trainings at the beginning of each program year, particularly for AdviseMI and College Completion Corps. Support ongoing training and professional development throughout the year, and connect members and supervisors to trainings offered by MCAN and partners.
- Work with respective program staff to offer training alignment and improve efficiencies, including with other national service programs.
- With program staff, assess training to ensure continuous improvement and just-in-time training when necessary. Seek and contract with external training partners where appropriate.
- Manage program marketing, website, communication, and social media presence, with the MCAN Strategic Engagement department and program staff.
- Review and update materials, publications, and tools to support service programs.
- Coordinate with program staff and the Strategic Engagement department to elevate successes and effectively tell the story of how MCAN’s service strategy is supporting college access and success in the state.
- Work with programs and other MCAN departments to establish and manage sustaining relationships with partner colleges, high schools, and community-based organizations.
- Ensure that service programs (program supervisors, site supervisors, members, alumni) are appropriately connecting to MCAN departments, staff, and programs. With the service strategy director, be a liaison to other MCAN departments and partners.
- Provide overall support, leadership and connectivity to the Service Strategy department, including working across programs to share resources and best practices, improve efficiency, and streamline processes.
- Serve as a contributing member of the MCAN team and provide leadership in increasing postsecondary access and success on behalf of the organization and in support of the strategic plan. This includes finding ways to build an anti-racist internal and external culture.
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of MCAN.
Education, Job Knowledge and Experience Requirements
The ideal candidate should:
- Have experience considering the impacts of college access and success on multiple communities, including communities of color and those with low socioeconomic status.
- Have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion.
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for postsecondary attainment.
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of MCAN.
- Show professionalism through confidence, competence and communication.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel.
Priority will be given to candidates with:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field.
- Prior service as an AmeriCorps member, in any stream of service, or as a college adviser or success coach.
- Experience working with high schools and/or higher education institutions.
$50,000 - $55,000
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. MCAN is also an Employer of National Service.
For questions related to this position, please email Tricia Lujambio at [email protected].
To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and a list of 3 professional references to