About the Michigan College Access Network:
Since our founding a decade ago, Michigan College Access Network has known that college changes everything—and perhaps even more critical to our mission is the belief that college is for everyone.
We do what it takes to provide students in Michigan with a brighter long-term future, through college access and postsecondary certificate and degree attainment: doing the research, talking to agents of change, connecting resources, being a changemaker.
Why? By encouraging Michigan residents to earn postsecondary certificates and degrees, we not only help them earn more and promote their well-being—we also strengthen Michigan's talent pool, retain and attract businesses to the state and stimulate Michigan's economy in the process.
Through college access, we are also able to promote equity in our state. We work to ensure that every student in Michigan has the opportunity to attend college—especially low-income students, first-generation college-going students and students of color.
We are proud to put forth a strategic plan that works to ensure that each and every student across Michigan has access to the knowledge, tools, and support to make college a reality.
Vision and Values
College is postsecondary education
We use the term college to refer to attainment of education beyond high school, including postsecondary certificates and academic degrees.
College is a necessity
Postsecondary attainment dramatically increases an individual’s economic independence in a knowledge-based economy.
College is for everyone
We work toward changing the systems that perpetuate inequities in postsecondary attainment.
College is a public good
Postsecondary attainment is critical to a just and equitable society, strong economy, thriving democracy, and healthy communities.
Position Description Summary
Under the supervision of the Director of Community Mobilization Strategy, the Strategy Manager will support various initiatives and projects related to MCAN’s four priorities as described in its 2017 strategic plan: fostering a college-going culture; identifying multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitating smooth transitions; improving college affordability; and supporting credential completion – especially those within the community systems category and those related to network development.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Strategy Manager performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Support the organization in reaching its equity and inclusion goals.
- As a member of the Community Mobilization Strategy Department, assist in the audit of existing programs and the design of new programs to ensure they are designed to close gaps, specifically among low-income students, first-generation college-going students, and students of color.
- Support grantmaking within the department and across the organization as necessary:
- Manage the logistics of the grantmaking process including outreach, review and reporting;
- Maintain records and data on all grants given including financial, legal and correspondence;
- Serve as the primary manager of the online grants-management system, SurveyMonkey Apply including supporting and training others in its use.
- Support MCAN’s Local College Access Network (LCAN) strategy:
- Develop an expertise on the Collective Impact framework that MCAN uses to support LCANs;
- Assist in developing, implementing and evaluating all LCAN trainings, convening’s, technical assistance, etc;
- Review and update materials, publications and tools to support LCANs;
- Serve as a coach/liaison for a cohort of LCANs and support others serving as a coach/liaison for LCANs;
- Find new opportunities to help communities build sustainable, strategic and strong networks across the state.
- Provide leadership and management of the online statewide impact map project.
- Work directly with the Director of Community Mobilization Strategy to provide support to the entirety of MCAN’s long term granting initiative.
- Manage the Community Ambassador program, including evaluation of long-term viability.
- Provide support in the planning, development, launch and expansion or evolution of departmental strategies including new programming.
- Gather and analyze pertinent data to use in recommendations, decision-making, and assessments.
- Give presentations to both internal and external audiences when necessary.
- Represent the organization, especially its community-based work, to constituents, funders, partners, grantees and others as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network.
Education, Job Knowledge and Experience Requirements
The ideal candidate should:
- Have experience considering the impacts of college access and success on multiple communities, including communities of color and those with low socioeconomic status.
- Have experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment.
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion.
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for postsecondary attainment.
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network.
- Show professionalism in all they do through confidence, competence and communication.
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software.
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field.
- Have a strong and demonstrated commitment to equity.
- Have a valid in-state driver license for local travel.
Priority will be given to candidates with:
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field
- Experience w/ SurveyMonkey Apply
- Experience w/ developing and managing both local and national networks.
$50,000 - $55,000
This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including generous health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, significant paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment.
To apply, please submit résumé , cover letter and a list of 3 professional references to https://mcan.smapply.org/prog/strategy_manager_community_mobilization
We encourage you to apply by December 5, 2020.
MCAN believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool. MCAN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people from all backgrounds to apply. MCAN is also an Employer of National Service.
For questions related to this position, please email Vicky Wright, Director of Operations, at [email protected].