About the Michigan College Access Network
Established in 2010, the Michigan College Access Network (MCAN) is a statewide nonprofit intermediary organization that mobilizes state and local leaders to increase college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates. Our efforts are oriented toward achieving the ambitious goal of increasing Michigan’s postsecondary educational attainment rate to 60% by 2025.
MCAN’s mission is to increase Michigan’s college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates, particularly among low-income students, first generation college-going students, and students of color. MCAN aims to fulfill its mission through advocacy, capacity building, convening, dissemination of research and data, development of partnerships, and investment.
As per our recently adopted strategic plan, MCAN will focus its work on the following priorities:
- Foster a college-going culture
- Identify multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitate smooth transitions
- Improve college affordability
- Support credential completion
For more information, visit www.micollegeaccess.org
Under the supervision of the Senior Director of High School Innovation, the Strategy Assistant will support various initiatives and projects related to MCAN’s four priorities as described in its 2017 strategic plan: Fostering a college-going culture; Identifying multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitating smooth transitions; Improving college affordability; and Supporting credential completion. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, technically-capable, detail-oriented, and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Strategy Assistant performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Provide support on specific initiatives or projects including:
- assist with the implementation of all MCAN-provided professional development training programs to college access practitioners including but not limited to school counselors, K12 staff, and nonprofit professionals;
- plan, schedule, organize, advertise, and host professional development webinars on topics relevant for college access practitioners;
- recruit, coordinate, and expand statewide school-based campaigns designed to help schools support students through the college-going process;
- assist with the high school grant-making strategy through technical assistance, coaching, and other support;
- assist in the development and launch of a multi-year school counselor fellows program; and
- any other initiative or project assigned.
- Support the organization in reaching its equity and inclusion goals. As a member of the High School Innovation department, assist in the audit of existing programs and design of new programs to ensure they are designed to close gaps, specifically among low-income students, first-generation college-going students, and students of color.
- Serve on MCAN’s grant review team. Independently read and score various grant applications and participate in team meetings to review and determine the status of grant proposals.
- Provide staff support in planning and hosting meetings, convenings, trainings, and other special events.
- Professionally and accurately communicate with critical MCAN constituents such as K12 professionals, higher education staff, LCAN coordinators, partner organizations, and state agencies.
- Compile and analyze data to improve effectiveness of MCAN’s strategies.
- Utilize technology to drive efficiency of MCAN’s strategies.
- Attend meetings and events on behalf of MCAN as requested.
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field
- At least one year of related experience
The Strategy Assistant must:
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network
- Communicate clearly and professionally with MCAN staff and its partners
- Have a valid in-state driver's license for local travel
The compensation for the position will be commensurate with education and experience. This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, professional development, generous paid time off, and paid holidays.
MCAN values different ideas and perspectives that can only come from having a diverse workforce. For questions related to this position, please email Vicky Wright, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please indicate in your cover letter if you are applying for both open Strategy Assistant positions.
To apply, please submit résumé and cover letter to email@example.com. MCAN will begin reviewing applications on January 14th, we encourage you to apply by then.