About the Michigan College Access Network
Established in 2010, the Michigan College Access Network (MCAN) is a statewide nonprofit intermediary organization that mobilizes state and local leaders to increase college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates. Our efforts are oriented toward achieving the ambitious goal of increasing Michigan’s postsecondary educational attainment rate to 60% by 2025.
MCAN’s mission is to increase Michigan’s college readiness, enrollment, and completion rates, particularly among low-income students, first generation college-going students, and students of color. MCAN aims to fulfill its mission through advocacy, capacity building, convening, dissemination of research and data, development of partnerships, and investment.
As per our recently adopted strategic plan, MCAN will focus its work on the following priorities:
- Foster a college-going culture
- Identify multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitate smooth transitions
- Improve college affordability
- Support credential completion
For more information, visit www.micollegeaccess.org
Under the supervision of the Deputy Director for Community & Partner Mobilization, the Strategy Assistant will support various initiatives and projects related to MCAN’s four priorities as described in its 2017 strategic plan: Fostering a college-going culture; Identifying multiple postsecondary education pathways and facilitating smooth transitions; Improving college affordability; and Supporting credential completion. The ideal candidate is self-motivated, technically-capable, and detail-oriented and has the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced, innovative environment.
The Strategy Assistant performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Provide support on specific initiatives and projects including:
- Grantmaking within the department and across the organization as necessary;
- Local College Access Networks and their training, convenings and support; and
- any other initiative or project assigned.
- Support the organization in reaching its equity and inclusion goals. As a member of the Community and Partner Mobilization Department, assist in the audit of existing programs and the design of new programs to ensure they are designed to close gaps, specifically among low-income students, first-generation college-going students, and students of color.
- Provide leadership and management of the online statewide impact map project.
- Provide support on an as-needed basis to the AdviseMI program as part of the Community and Partner Mobilization Department.
- Provide support on an as-needed basis to MCAN’s Talent Hub work in partnership with Lumina and The Kresge Foundations.
- Serve as the primary manager of the online grants-management system, FluidReview.
- Provide support in the planning, development and launch of new projects including:
- College success coaches;
- MCAN Community Ambassadors;
- any other program assigned.
- Gather and analyze pertinent data to use in decision-making and presentations
- Perform other duties as needed to advance the mission of the Michigan College Access Network
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in any field
- Familiarity and comfort with technology
- At least one year of related experience
The Strategy Assistant must:
- Prioritize work, multi-task, work independently with minimal supervision, and accurately perform duties in a fast-paced environment
- Have ability to solve problems, pay attention to detail, and follow through on tasks assigned through completion
- Work efficiently and adhere to established deadlines
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Have a passion for working in the nonprofit and education sector – especially for post-secondary attainment
- Have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office Products and Gmail as well as knowledge of basic office and communication equipment and software
- Have strong written communication skills that demonstrate professional composition, proper grammar, clarity, and reflect the tone of the Michigan College Access Network
- Communicate clearly and professionally with MCAN staff and its partners
- Have a valid in-state driver's license for local travel
Salary will be commensurate with experience and education. This position is full-time and is eligible for MCAN’s full benefits package including health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, retirement benefits, generous paid time off, paid holidays, and a fun work environment
MCAN values different ideas and perspectives that can only come from having a diverse workforce. For questions related to this position, please email Vicky Wright, Director of Operations, at email@example.com .
To apply, please submit résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate in your cover letter if you are applying for both open Strategy Assistant positions.
MCAN will begin reviewing applications on January 14th, we encourage you to apply by then.