Are you an accounting professional who enjoys working in an environment that promotes trust & integrity, has a passion for excellence and collaboration? Are you interested in joining a team leading change and providing lasting impact to our community? If so, read on!
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan, a multifaceted, full-service philanthropic organization leading the way to positive change, is seeking a Senior Accountant to support the finance team in performing and reviewing various accounting and financial activities of the Foundation and its supporting organizations.
The Community Foundation is creating permanent, positive change in southeast Michigan through thoughtful philanthropy. With generous support from thousands of donors, the Community Foundation is building a permanent endowment for the region and helping individuals, families, and businesses fulfill their charitable goals.
- Reconcile complex bank and investment accounts. Record investment performance, sales, purchases, and other activities using FIMS (accounting software).
- Perform monthly close, including preparation of journal entries. Research transactions and explain variances.
- Review payments to sub-recipients of federal awards.
- Review donor gifts and grantor awards to value and record in FIMS, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Prepare monthly financial and ad-hoc reports.
- Assist with internal financial statements and narratives, including budget versus actual variance analyses.
- Assist with the annual financial audit and single audit, including gathering information, preparing schedules, drafting footnote disclosures, and reconciling amounts to the general ledger.
- Assist with the annual preparation and filing of federal, state, and local tax returns.
- Lead the preparation of responses to sector surveys.
- Review work of the Accountant and Administrative Assistant.
- Provide support to the Controller and Vice President, Finance and Administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Detail-oriented with high attention to quality and accuracy
- Deep knowledge of accounting principles
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks including prioritizing, organizing, and meeting deadlines
- Expert Microsoft Excel skills (pivot tables and v-lookups)
- Non-profit fund accounting experience or public accounting experience preferred
The Community Foundation is located in the heart of downtown Detroit, near Campus Martius, the Riverfront, and many parks and restaurants. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life/LTD insurances, paid parking, along with paid sick, personal, holiday, and vacation time. A 403(b) savings plan is available, along with a Foundation-funded pension program
The Community Foundation for Southeast Michigan is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Foundation is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.