The Kresge Foundation is one of the top 20 private foundations in the United States and the only one focused exclusively on expanding opportunities for people with low income in American Cities. With a $3.8 billion endowment and a staff of over 100 employees, the foundation deploys grants and social investments across arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services and community development. The foundation’s state-of-the-art headquarters maintains an array of energy-efficient, water-conserving and health-promoting systems. The foundation also operates an office in Detroit’s Midtown district.
Join an Award Winning Finance Office
Our award winning team includes three Certified Public Accountants whose accomplishments include the 2011 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year, 2017 DBusiness Powered by Women Award, a member of the Financial Accounting Standards Board Not-For-Profit Advisory Committee, two MICPA Women to Watch Awards, a 2015 Crain’s Detroit Business CFO of the Year Rising Star awardee, a member of the MICPA Ethics Task Force, and a member of the Walsh College Accounting Advisory Board.
Our finance and accounting team offers the broadest possible exposure to the non-profit accounting field. You will have opportunities to learn accounting insights from some of the best finance and accounting professionals in the industry.
About the position
The Senior Accountant & Tax Specialist is responsible for reconciling financial accounting activity and performing the day-to-day tax and regulatory functions related to the Foundation’s tax reporting. This position has the role of gaining a thorough understanding of complex accounting and tax matters affecting the Foundation to ensure proper tax planning, compliance, research, tracking, analysis and reporting. This position will support the Deputy CFO and Controller, Finance team and other internal staff as well as interact with external tax advisors and peer foundations.
- Participates in analysis of accounting and tax issues as they arise with an emphasis on reporting for alternative investments. In conjunction with external tax advisors, researches new and pending tax regulations and assesses impact and resulting reporting requirements.
- Provides technical expertise, reviewing and recommending procedures for compliance with international, federal, state and local tax regulations. Responsible for documenting tax positions and implementing processes and procedures.
- Supports the Deputy CFO and Controller in the evaluation and monitoring of alternative investments for regulatory compliance and performs analysis to recommend the appropriate entity structure for new or renewing investments based on tax implications.
- Supports the Deputy CFO and Controller in the review of legal agreements for accounting and tax matters, participates in discussions with investment managers and/or their legal team if needed and recommends side letter language if necessary.
- Primary contact for investment tax related subscription document questions.
- Obtains U.S. Residency Certificates and foreign exemption letters as needed.
- Prepares all accounting and tax schedules, reconciliations and journal entries related to Forms 990-PF, 990-T and state tax filings for internal and external audit review.
- Prepares Forms 990-PF and 990-T for internal and external review. Responds to all review notes and reviews returns prior to filing.
- Prepares state registrations, annual reports and tax exemptions.
- Assists with tax and payout forecasts as well as preparation of all quarterly tax estimates and return extensions.
- Responsible for the collection and follow up on all federal and state Schedule K-1’s, foreign reporting forms and all other relevant tax related information and forms.
- Tracks foreign entity elections, transactions, ownership and related information for foreign reporting forms. Reviews externally prepared foreign reporting forms prior to filing.
- Fulfills accounting, audit and tax information requests as required.
- Performs complex accounting reconciliations, financial analysis and other duties as assigned.
- Supports the Deputy CFO and Controller during interactions with the Internal Revenue Service and State Treasury related matters.
- Develops collaborative relationships with external audit and tax advisors and demonstrates partnership with internal departments to maximize the benefits realized from the relationships.
- Develops processes and procedures as necessary to ensure accuracy and maintain proper internal controls. Identifies and implements opportunities for operational improvements in the accounting, audit and tax preparation processes.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Strong commitment to the Foundation's vision and values with the ability to demonstrate that commitment in daily interactions.
- Excellent analytical, writing, verbal and social communication skills.
- BA/BS degree accounting or finance required; Master’s in taxation preferred. CPA or enrolled agent status required.
- Three plus years of public accounting experience in financial statement audit assurance and federal tax matters. Tax experience with investments and partnerships required. Knowledge of international and exempt organization tax compliance and regulatory issues highly desirable. Private foundation experience a plus.
- Strong knowledge of Windows-based spreadsheet and word processing software required (Microsoft Office products). Knowledge and experience working with accounting and tax software (Great Plains and ProSystem fx, respectively) preferred.
- Advanced skill level with excel.
- Proven organizational and planning skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task, establish priorities and organize efficiently.
Positive team attitude.
Strong Work Life Balance
We offer a competitive total compensation package including…
- Health benefits, employer-paid dental, vision, and life insurance
- Wellness program with financial incentives
- 4 weeks of paid time off
- Attractive 401k plan consisting of a 5% 1:1 employer match and an additional 10% employer contribution
….and other benefits:
- Breakfast, lunch, and snacks daily for a minimal charge
- Robust professional development opportunities, including tuition reimbursement
- Technology reimbursement
- Award-winning platinum LEED facility anchored by a 19th century farmhouse
The Kresge Foundation, an Equal Opportunity Employer, seeks to reach a broad and diverse candidate pool when filling vacant positions. We strongly encourage applications from people with diverse backgrounds because we believe that the foundation and its work benefit from the various perspectives and talents of a diverse staff. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability or other applicable legally protected characteristics.