To maintain and repair Applewood’s motorized grounds equipment and perform preventative maintenance as required to ensure that the grounds and facility systems are in good working order. To assist the Foundation’s professional horticulture team maintain Applewood’s living collections including its gardens, lawns and natural areas.
This is a temporary position which will end on December 15, 2019. This end date is subject to change based on department needs or reaching the 1,000 hours per year limit for temporary employment.
- Maintain and repair grounds equipment to keep it operational. Manage maintenance report files and shop repair inventories.
- Assist with maintaining grounds and facility systems, including electrical, irrigation, drainage, HVAC, plumbing, lighting, etc.
- Assist with preparation, planting, harvesting and maintenance of annuals and perennials, lawns and woody plants, including watering, mulching, pruning and pesticide application as directed by staff.
- Participate in event set-up and tear-down.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma/GED and completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and equipment/facility maintenance experience required. Associate degree in mechanical, electrical or industrial maintenance preferred.
- Some horticulture experience preferred.
- Experience with small engine repairs and maintenance, welding and carpentry.
- Must be able to obtain Michigan Commercial Pesticide Applicator’s license with Ornamentals certification within 30 days of hire.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Attention to detail.
- Good hand-eye coordination.
- Ability to properly use grounds hand tools and mechanized equipment.
- Ability to troubleshoot mechanical and electrical system problems and provide possible solutions.
- Ability to work collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to work occasional evening and/or weekend hours.
Essential Physical and Work Environment Demands:
Ability to walk up and down stairs while carrying objects weighing up to 55 pounds; to bend, stoop, and lift to move materials; to pull/push, lift and carry up to 55 pounds on a regular basis; and to reach both above and below shoulder height. The nature of the work requires the ability to work in both indoor and outdoor environments in varying temperatures and weather conditions. Ability to use loud machinery (protective gear is provided).
Email cover letter and resume to Resumes@ruthmott.org
Ruth Mott Foundation recruits team members that are as economically, culturally and ethnically diverse as the community we serve. We are committed to diversity and inclusion in all its forms, including but not limited to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, height, weight, marital status, sexual orientation, protected genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.