- The Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF) is a statewide association of foundations and corporations which make grants for charitable purposes. As a membership organization, CMF’s mission is to grow the impact of Michigan philanthropy. To learn more about CMF, visit www.michiganfoundations.org
- In 1995, as a result of a generous gift from Dr. Russell G. Mawby, president emeritus of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, the Mawby Fund for Kids was established as a permanent endowment fund at CMF to promote the involvement of Michigan youth in philanthropy. The priority of the Fund is to support a summer internship at CMF for a college student who is an alumnus of a Michigan Community Foundation Youth Advisory Council (YAC). The Mawby Fund for Kids Summer Internship is a paid internship focused on planning the annual Youth Grantmakers Summer Leadership Conference.
The Mawby Intern will begin working with CMF in January 2020 for approximately 5-10 hours/week, until the end of April. The location of this early work is very flexible, and can be scheduled around classes and other commitments. Most work during this time can be completed remotely via e-mail/phone. The Mawby Intern will transition to 40 hours/week in early May, when the 12 weeks of 40 hours/week on-site in the CMF Detroit office will begin.
As part of the job responsibilities, the intern will attend and assist with:
- Youth Grantmakers Summer Leadership Conference logistics, including planning, session design, and facilitation
- Help facilitate 2020 Winter Planning Retreat
- Communicating with the MCFYP Committee on monthly video meetings
- Serving as a liaison and assistant for the MCFYP Committee before, during, and after the conference
- Writing, designing, and publishing a summer issue of the annual newsletter, YACkety YAC
- Developing and producing reports, agendas, a legacy manual, and other materials as needed
- Attendance of other CMF sponsored events
- Assist as needed with other youth related work
- Alumni of Michigan Community Foundations’ Youth Advisory Councils (YACs)
- Completed at least 1 semester of college and currently enrolled in college
- Minimum 19 years old (as of December 2019)
- Attended at least one Youth Grantmakers Summer Leadership Conference
- Youth philanthropy experience
- Organized and detailed oriented
- Event planning experience preferred
- Excellent interpersonal skills – able to connect with students, advisors, and staff
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Suite and Outlook is a plus
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
The intern will receive $13.00/hour for 5-10 hours/week from late January through the end of April 2020, $13.00/hour for 40 hours/week for the summer (maximum of 12 weeks) of 2020, and a $1,000 scholarship to be used at your college/university. Several interns have also received academic credit through programs at their school. The supervisor of the Mawby Intern and the Mawby Intern will operate out of the Detroit office and you will be responsible for finding your own housing during the internship.
The Council of Michigan Foundations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All correspondence will remain confidential.