The Council of Michigan Foundations is a community of philanthropists committed to improving outcomes for Michigan and beyond. Through investing in the state's charitable organizations, convening business, government and nonprofit leaders, collaborating on critical issues, seeking innovative solutions, sharing knowledge and advocating, we leverage our collective voice to grow the impact of Michigan philanthropy.
Read more about us at: www.michiganfoundations.org. Follow us on social media @michfoundations.
The Skillman Foundation is a private philanthropic organization that champions Detroit children. It works to ensure that Detroit youth have access to high-quality educational and economic opportunities and a strong, broad network of champions that work on behalf of young people’s interests.
More information about The Skillman Foundation can be found online at www.skillman.org.
Provide support to The Skillman Foundation, the Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF) and appropriate national foundation affinity groups in advancing the understanding and commitment to the well-being of children at the regional, state and national level and growing the impact of Michigan philanthropy through activities outlined below:
The Skillman Foundation
- Work closely with the Director of Evaluation, Learning and Impact to shape and implement an evaluation and learning framework that is designed to promote learning and continuous improvement of our programmatic and systems-level investments
- Help to ensure that the Foundation is supported with best practices in capturing and sharing organizational learning to improve impact with community initiatives and grantmaking.
- Assist in developing agendas and processes to facilitate the execution of learning priorities by internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the Foundation’s Board Meeting materials, including writing memos, visualizing data, providing research, and ensuring all included data is accurate, timely, and relevant.
- Contribute to the Foundation’s communications staff work to share knowledge externally through presentations, meetings, publications, blog posts and other digital platforms.
- Assist the Director and Associate Vice President manage and evaluate the Foundation’s internal Performance Management System, including unit goal setting and staff surveys.
- Work with the Director of Evaluation, Learning and Impact, along with the Associate Vice President, Organizational Impact and Excellence and other members of the Foundation on community initiatives and special projects as needed.
The Council of Michigan Foundations
- Contribute to the refinement of CMF's ongoing improvement process to ensure that programs and services continue to meet the needs of members and partners.
- Assist in developing and implementing evaluation frameworks for CMF programs, projects and initiatives.
- Support the preparation, analysis and publication of CMF’s Annual Evaluation Report and Michigan’s Community Foundation and YAC Databooks.
- Work in partnership with members of the annual conference committee and CMF staff to support the development of one or more conference sessions.
- Present reports to the Boards and staff of The Skillman Foundation and CMF as appropriate.
- Represent The Skillman Foundation and CMF at state and national conferences and meetings
The successful candidate must be a recent graduate of a master's program in public policy, public administration, political science or equivalent; have a serious interest in the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors; and demonstrate the following:
- Skills: applied research (evaluation and/or policy research), data analysis (qualitative and quantitative), data reporting, data visualization, external relations, project management, and excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Characteristics: quick learner, self-starter, creative problem solver, detail oriented, good sense of humor, flexible, well-organized and committed to meeting deadlines
- Abilities: works well independently and in a team; confident facilitator of internal and external meetings, particularly those designed to promote organizational learning
- Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite and have familiarity with some survey tools and platforms; experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and with Salesforce would be preferred but not required.
- A willingness to travel within the state and out of state to attend meetings and conferences
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Tammie TenBroeke at email@example.com. Items must be received no later than Friday, May 17, 2019.
The Council of Michigan Foundations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All correspondence will remain confidential.