Manages, supervises and administers all aspects of the organization’s finance, accounting and investment functions. Oversees accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, fund management and governmental/regulatory filings. Prepares and monitors operating and grant budgets. Oversees and monitors BCF’s investment portfolio with assistance from an external investment consultant. Manages BCF’s annual external audit function. Communicates financial and investment information to donors, prospect donors, nonprofit agencies, Board of Trustees, governmental/regulatory authorities, financial vendors and the public at large. Assumes such other duties and powers as the President and CEO may from time-to-time prescribe.
Responsible for overseeing and administering all aspects of the organization’s finance, accounting and investment functions, including the following functions:
Finance and Accounting 55%
- Handles/oversees accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, fund management, cash management and governmental/regulatory filings
- Ensures that financial records, reports and practices conform with generally accepted accounting principles
- Ensures that funds are properly coded for fees and FASB reporting
- Serves as a liaison to the Investment Committee, participating in committee meetings and activities as appropriate
- Communicates financial information and practices as needed
- Works with the President and other management to create departmental budgets using the information to create a budget for the organization as a whole
- Provides the President with financial and operational information needed to manage the organization by advising remedial action where necessary and/or making appropriate recommendations
- Prepares forecasting and cash management information to staff and the Board of Trustees
- Prepares and monitors operating and grant budgets
- Oversees and monitors the organization’s investment portfolio
- Works with the Investment Committee and external investment consultant to review and manage the performance of investment managers, investment strategies, asset allocation, spending policy and the addition of new investment managers
- Coordinates and oversees BCF’s annual external audit
- Provides information to prepare the annual 990 filings
Work requires a bachelors degree in finance, accounting or a related field, with a CPA certificate preferred.
This position requires significant experience directly related to the above-described duties and responsibilities, with at least 5 years of fund accounting experience and prior investment experience. Experience and knowledge of the nonprofit sector and/or foundations is strongly preferred.
Other Knowledge, Skills, and Job Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to analyze financial, investment and other quantitative data and present findings in a clear, concise and professional manner; ability to translate financial terms for non-finance audiences
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in overseeing the financial and investment functions for a financially complex organization
- Strong ability to understand and apply FASB and other applicable accounting rules, finance/investment policies and generally accepted accounting principles
- Creative and thoughtful approach to new proactively utilizing new technology to advance the organization’s mission and strategic goals
- Strong analytical skills and experience executing a strategic vision
- Excellent judgment and high ethical standards; ability to keep information confidential
- Self-reliant, good problem solver, results oriented
- Ability to make decisions in a changing environment and anticipate future needs
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills necessary to develop and maintain positive and cooperative working relationships with donors, prospective donors, staff, and Board of Trustees; a strong commitment to customer service
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive
- Proficiency and comfort with Akoya or a comparable donor/CRM database & accounting software
- Proficiency and comfort with Microsoft office applications, including Word, and Excel
- Professional manner and appearance consistent with a formal office atmosphere
- Passion for BCF’s mission
OTHER POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
While performing the duties of this job, it is expected the employee will periodically be required to work and attend meetings, events and conferences beyond the hours of the standard work day. This will include some travel and time away from home. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The qualifications listed above are guidelines for selection purposes; alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties of the job.
Send resume, cover letter and salary requirement to [email protected]