The Bay Area Community Foundation (BACF) is seeking a Donor Relations and Communications Officer. This is a full-time, salaried position responsible for coordinated communications and donor stewardship efforts designed to retain, attract and inspire donors, reach a broad base of diverse constituents, and maximize the visibility of BACF. Reporting to the President/CEO, the Donor Relations and Communications Officer coordinates marketing, communications, publications, media, social media and events for the organization.
- Maintain a broad understanding of community need and use this knowledge to create and implement strategies to develop and maintain relationships with donors and potential donors to ensure philanthropic objectives are met and their knowledge of the Bay Area Community Foundation and the needs of the Bay Area are broadened.
- Support the development efforts of BACF through donor research, recognition, special events, annual giving, business sponsor campaign, and marketing/communications strategies.
- Investigate, evaluate and oversee production of print materials such as invitations, annual report, annual report, newsletters, scholarship recognition materials. This involves production of communication materials and coordination with external vendors as necessary.
- Develop and implement BACF’s electronic presence (website, social media, blogs, e-blast) to ensure this medium is effectively used for conveying information to interested persons and potential donors.
- Efficiently provide consistent, timely and accurate information to donors in alignment with BACF’s Fund Holder Correspondence Plan and as the need arises.
- Oversee donor-centric events/activities. Currently, these events include Faces of Philanthropy, annual donor recognition event/business sponsor, and site visits for fund holders, but it may change over time. Provide donor stewardship/connection for other BACF events (i.e., holiday party, scholarship gatherings).
- Cultivate positive relationships with donors and committee members.
- Plan and coordinate logistics for donor advised funds and committees as assigned by CEO.
- Help coordinate Give Local Bay Day activities to ensure growth and success.
- Develop and maintain broad knowledge of BACF funds. Ensure handling of funds complies with National Standards and BACF policies.
- Partner with President & CEO to develop comprehensive annual communications strategy. Work together to establish media contacts and to identify opportunities to promote BACF.
- Assist in developing, implementing and documenting progress toward Foundation goals. For example, data regarding growth in total contributions; increases by existing donors; discretionary and other endowment assets; attraction of new donors; donor participation and donor satisfaction, etc.
- Promote brand consistency and communication accuracy, seeking excellence in all.
- Maintain systems level view of gift acknowledgement process to ensure all gifts are properly documented and acknowledged.
- Provide assistance to President & CEO in confidential matters.
- Serve on Asset Development Committee.
- Represent BACF at community events.
Desired skills, knowledge and characteristics
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, nonprofit management, or similar studies required with 3-5 years prior communications or donor stewardship experience
- Proactive, self-starter and collaborative leader able to work across generational lines and with various racial/ethnic groups
- Superior writing, storytelling and copy-editing skills
- Outstanding organizational and project management skills with strong attention to detail. Ability to plan and prioritize projects to meet multiple demands and deadlines
- Eye for design and proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office software and website platforms
- Demonstrated ability to use database/funding software products
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-faceted office
- Ability to occasionally work diverse schedule to meet needs of committees and Foundation
- Ability to work equally well independently or as a team member
- Passion for excellence, philanthropy, nonprofit community and/or Bay Area community is a must
Compensation commensurate with candidate’s qualifications and experience. Benefits include health insurance coverage, group life insurance, long- and short-term disability, and a retirement plan. Hybrid work environment.
Send resume and cover letter to Diane Fong, Bay Area Community Foundation, [email protected].