The Johnson Center was established in 1992 with support from the W.K. Kellogg Foundation. Our mission is to be a global leader in helping individuals and organizations understand, strengthen, and advance philanthropy, resulting in a smart, adaptive sector that helps create strong, inclusive communities.
We put research to work with and for professionals across the country and the world. Through professional education offerings; research, evaluation, and consulting services; and bold thinking to advance the field, we support a philanthropic ecosystem defined by effective philanthropy, strong nonprofits, and informed community change.
This position will manage the professional development and training programs offered by the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy (Johnson Center). The position will serve as a member of the Senior Coordinating and Accountability Team for the Center.
- Ensure the design and implementation of engaging, cutting-edge learning experiences for philanthropic sector practitioners (funders, donors, nonprofits) through The Grantmaking School, LearnPhilanthropy Academy, and other workshops and programs
- Hire, manage, and develop staff
- Supervise 3 – 5 professional staff
- Develop tools and resources to support learning
- Work closely within the Johnson Center and with external partners to conceptualize program offerings, insuring client voice is heard in program development
- Develop the structure and content for the annual calendar, adjusting offerings as needed as the year proceeds to focus on emerging issues or take advantage of opportunities
- Keep up with best practices in philanthropy, adult learning and instructional design
- In collaboration with other GVSU departments, develop and launch credentialing (“badging”) programs for foundation and nonprofit staff
- Ensure a sustainable business model is further developed and implemented
- Contribute to the success of the Center as a member of the Senior Coordinating and Accountability Team
- Instruct for The Grantmaking School, depending on skill set
- Teach courses for other GVSU departments
- Master’s degree in relevant field (such as nonprofit leadership or adult education) and 8+ years of experience or PhD and 3 years of experience
- Experience in a nonprofit or foundation (3+ depending on degree)
- Three + years of experience in training or adult education
- Evidence of strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Evidence of ability to work independently as well as with others
- Strong cultural competence, collaboration, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated high standards of work quality and integrity
- Experience in a higher education environment
- Supervisory experience
- Broad knowledge of the philanthropic field
A full benefits package is offered. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Apply online at jobs.gvsu.edu and select "Apply now". Please include a cover letter and resume. The online application will allow you to attach these documents electronically. On the application, you will be required to provide names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses for three professional references. If you have questions or need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Application Deadline Date: Review of applications will begin (6 weeks from the posting date) and the posting may be closed at any time at the discretion of the University.
The Johnson Center is committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community. Candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity are encouraged to apply. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are also encouraged to apply.