We are a growing organization, and with growth comes increased financial management responsibilities. The mission of the Community Foundation of the Holland/Zeeland Area (CFHZ) has two parts; building and managing a permanent philanthropic endowment dedicated to ensuring the Holland/Zeeland area continues to thrive, and providing services to local donors to help them achieve their charitable giving goals. Both involve a significant amount of philanthropic dollars coming in and out of the organization. The Foundation has over 650 charitable funds which at the end of 2019 collectively had more than $90 million in assets. In 2019 these funds received more than $12 million in new gifts and distributed $12 million in grants back into the community.
It is an exciting time of growth and significant community impact at the Community Foundation, and we are looking for someone to maintain the financial integrity of the Foundation by ensuring the accurate and timely implementation and accounting of the Foundation’s finances and investments.
How you would spend your time:
- Working with the President/CEO to create and maintain the operational budget, including multi-year forecasting.
- Executing on decisions made by the Investment Committee and outside investment consultant to establish policies, procedures and strategies (asset allocation, manager selection, rebalancing, etc.) for the foundation’s main investment portfolio.
- Managing the foundation’s various investment portfolios through monthly reconciliations of activity, money move balance adjustments, and recording of investment returns to all CFHZ funds.
- Overseeing the annual financial statement audit.
- Ensuring accurate and up-to-date maintenance of all financial records in the Stellar iPhi financial system.
- Providing oversight of all aspects of the accounting, financial and investment activities of CFHZ which includes, but is not limited to: monthly financial close in the Stellar iPhi financial system, quarterly fund statements, annual spending rate calculation, and processing all gifts, pledges, payables, grants, and investment-related sells, buys, and money moves.
- Serving as staff administrator for the Stellar iPhi financial system.
- Establishing and maintaining a strong system of internal controls and internal process documentation.
- Maintaining relationships with bank and brokerage partners, investment managers, financial system administrators, and auditors.
- Supporting various programs with financial tracking tools.
- Overseeing all financial reporting and financial information that is communicated (internal and external). This includes preparing financial information for potential donors, existing fund holders, the President/CEO, the Board and various committees.
- Supervising the Finance Associate whose responsibilities include, but are not limited to: payroll, benefits, 1099 and payroll reporting, financial data entry, gift receipts, check and ACH payments and bank account reconciliation
What characteristics/skills you need to be successful in this role:
- Outstanding skills in accounting and financial administration - fund accounting experience is a plus
- Exceptional financial analysis and planning skills
- Interest and/or experience working with investment portfolio transactions
- Budget preparation and forecasting experience
- Staff management experience is a plus
- Superior Excel skills are required, including the ability to easily use V-Lookup functions and Pivot Tables
- Accountability to accuracy, quality and timeliness in financial reporting (we’re a fast-paced organization that often needs reports quickly, but accuracy is still our number one priority)
- Comfortable being a part of strategic financial discussions but not always being the primary decision maker
- Ability to work with a complex fund accounting financial system
- Drive for continuous improvement
- Willing to be flexible to create custom solutions to meet donors’ needs
- Strong written and oral communication skills including effectively communicating financial information to a non-financial audience
- Self-starter, self-reliant, but naturally leans to consulting with others to solve problems
- Able to work with high-level financial tasks while also accomplishing day-today accounting responsibilities
- Wants to have a positive impact on the Holland/Zeeland area
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
How you will be compensated:
- $70,000 annual salary
- Paid time oﬀ—20 days per year, plus 9 holidays and 7 half day summer Fridays
- Employee health, vision, and dental benefits (CFHZ pays 80% of premiums for employees), family coverage also available
- Employee assistance program for mental health counseling
- Simple IRA account with 3% employer match
- Individual professional development budget
- Constant sense of fulfillment from spending your days helping steward financial resources for the betterment of our community
Send an email to [email protected] by Friday, June 26. With your email include a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, specifically address your desire for a role that engages in day to day accounting tasks while also addressing your ability to execute on higher level finance work.
All are welcomed and encouraged to apply. The Community Foundation of the Holland/Zeeland Area (CFHZ) will provide equal employment opportunity and not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status, religion, height, weight, veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other status protected by law.