The Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF) leads, strengthens and supports Michigan's community of philanthropy by emboldening and equipping Michigan philanthropy in the relentless pursuit of equitable systems, fortifying the field through public policy action, fostering the growth of current and future philanthropy leaders and advancing exemplary philanthropic practices and field expertise. Equity is a pillar of our work, and equity is embedded across the pillars of policy, practice and people. CMF is a leadership organization driven by our values and the power of people, equipped with deep sector expertise and the ability to anticipate and adapt, ever committed to continuous improvement.
Read more about us at: https://www.michiganfoundations.org/
Follow us at: @michfoundations
The Council of Michigan Foundations (CMF) seeks a dynamic and engaged individual to help us advance our mission to lead, strengthen and support Michigan's community! This role will be a critical part of our communications strategies and messaging as we embark on our newly endorsed vision that puts equity at the center of our work.
CMF’s future work will focus on emboldening and equipping Michigan philanthropy in the relentless pursuit of equitable systems, fortifying the field through public policy action, fostering the growth of current and future philanthropy leaders and advancing exemplary philanthropic practices and field expertise. Equity is a pillar of our work, and equity is embedded across the pillars of policy, practice and people.
CMF seeks a communications professional to join our team as a Communications Coordinator. In addition to helping our Director of Communications develop our outward facing messaging, this individual will be leading content development and storytelling efforts on various platforms, the Communications Coordinator will report to the director of communications and work collaboratively with colleagues throughout the organization.
CMF is a leadership organization driven by our values and the power of people, equipped with deep sector expertise and the ability to anticipate and adapt, ever committed to continuous improvement.
Location: The ideal candidate for this role will be located within Greater Grand Rapids / West Michigan. This role will be based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
- Lead the department’s weekly editorial process to gather story ideas, write and produce CMF’s award-winning publication, “The Download.”
- Monitor news and issues emerging as they relate to Michigan philanthropy.
- Lead email marketing and communications for CMF events and special announcements.
- Manage CMF’s email marketing platform, including data tracking.
- Ensure content shared via CMF’s channels (online, print, social media, multimedia) is accurate, culturally competent, aligned with CMF’s brand and up to date.
- Elevate CMF’s social media strategy through curating daily content, boosting engagement and managing CMF’s brand and presence on its social media channels.
- Support the development of CMF’s marketing and promotional efforts of events including its Annual Conference.
- Assist in the development of multimedia projects.
- Attend special events to provide communications support.
- Provide support for communications needs across the organization.
- Provide content and editorial support to the director on large-scale communications publications and projects.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Commitment and experience working with diverse populations, promoting and embracing diversity in the workplace and experience or curiosity on how to effectively advance an equity-centered organization mission.
- Early adapter and curious mind
- High level of individual initiative and creativity; highly self-motivated
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with limited supervision and successfully within a team
- Ability to be a creative problem solver
- Ability to deal effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals in person, on the telephone and in writing
- A strong personal commitment to accuracy and excellence with particular attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience using e-marketing providers and/or Adobe Suite
- Experience using social media platforms at a professional level (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Experience using video production tools preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree with focus in communications or marketing discipline preferred
- Minimum three years of relevant work experience
- Experience managing multiple projects with many stakeholders
- Experience in the philanthropic sector preferred, but not mandatory
Physical and Mental Activities and Requirements:
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel to perform the duties. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk around to perform the duties. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs.
- The employee may operate any or all of the following: telephone, cellular telephone, copy and fax machine, imaging equipment, computer and printer.
- This position may require travel by automobile and airplane.
- This position requires the employee to make decisions in a timely manner and anticipate all of the potential ramifications of decisions made.
- The employee must be ability to read, and interpret documents, understand/follow complex written and oral instructions, be able to express oneself clearly/concisely, perform mathematical functions and handle multiple, concurrent tasks.
- This position requires regular and predictable attendance and cannot be performed remotely.
Interested candidates should e-mail a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to Tammie TenBroeke at [email protected].
The Council of Michigan Foundations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All correspondence will remain confidential.