The foundation was established in 1930 by breakfast cereal innovator and entrepreneur Will Keith Kellogg for the purpose of improving the health, happiness and well-being of children. The foundation works with communities to create conditions for vulnerable children so they can realize their full potential in school, work and life. The foundation supports lasting and transformational work to ensure a healthy start and quality learning experiences for all children, to help families obtain stable, high-quality jobs, and to help communities become vibrant, engaged and equitable. The foundation is committed to advancing racial equity and racial healing, developing leaders, and engaging communities in solving their own problems.
More information about the W.K. Kellogg Foundation may be found at: wkkf.org
The W.K. Kellogg Foundation, a leading philanthropic institution helping communities create the conditions children need to thrive, is seeking applications for a newly created Assistant General Counsel position. The Assistant General Counsel will provide collaborative, solution-oriented legal guidance and support to the foundation on U.S. and international legal matters, advising foundation staff in a variety of areas including grantmaking, contracts, policy and advocacy, workforce mobility, and state and local registrations. Other areas of support may include employment matters, employee benefit programs, intellectual property matters and impact investments. Specific responsibilities include advising foundation staff on structuring grants, reviewing grant application materials for compliance with applicable laws, regulations and foundation policies, and preparing, reviewing and negotiating contracts to procure goods and services, licenses, leases and other legal documents. The Assistant General Counsel will also advise and provide training on the application and interpretation of laws and policies and coordinate with outside counsel in areas of responsibility.
A qualified candidate will have five or more years of relevant legal practice experience in a law firm or as in-house legal counsel and be a current member in good standing of a state bar, with licensure or ability to obtain licensure in Michigan. Desired qualifications include:
- Experience advising private foundations or other tax-exempt entities preferred.
- Experience drafting and negotiating contracts preferred.
- Experience in corporate, employment, intellectual property, privacy, real estate and/or technology law helpful.
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects effectively and efficiently to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate legal concepts and requirements clearly to internal clients.
- Strong analytical and legal research skills.
- Ability to work effectively with persons from diverse cultural, social and ethnic backgrounds and build strong relationships.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to collaboration and teamwork.
For the full position description, please visit: https://npag.com/additional-searches/wkkf-agc
The search is being led by Katherine Jacobs, Julian Jackson, and Britni Russell Bianchi of the national search firm NPAG. Applications, including a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, your resume (in Word format), and where you learned of the position, should be sent to: [email protected]. Please type your name (Last, First) as the only contents in the subject line of your e-mail.
The W.K. Kellogg Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and proudly values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.