The Ann Arbor Area Community Foundation (AAACF) is a collegial and energetic organization that is dedicated to creating positive community change in Washtenaw County. Founded in 1963, AAACF is the seventh largest among the 65 community foundations in Michigan. AAACF administers 600 charitable funds ─ most of which are permanently endowed ─ and assets of $175 million. AAACF is staffed by 14 employees who work to fulfill the organization’s philanthropic mission. To learn more, visit www.aaacf.org. AAACF is an equal opportunity employer.
This role will be an integral part of our finance team and provides support across a wide range of accounting and finance activities. This position should adopt a positive, “servant leader” mindset that embraces our finance operations as an important means for helping the foundation achieve its charitable mission. Occasionally the Accountant will need to work flexible hours to accommodate committee meeting schedules.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
General Accounting Duties
- Check records daily to identify new stock gifts. Accurately enter new gifts into the AAACF accounting system.
- Respond to charitable fund account audits in a timely manner.
- Manage accounts receivable entry, performing all duties with accuracy and in a timely manner.
- Accurately enter account numbers and amounts for all interaccount transfers.
- Track Grantee uncashed checks. Make contact and work to resolve any that go beyond 6 months.
- Work with the Development Department to track late pledge payments and coordinate a reminder process.
- Help with other monthly close processes as needed
- Act as backup to the Controller’s daily activities when she is away from the office
- Assure that all invoices are paid in timely manner. Assign accurate account and department coding in accounting system.
- Manage monthly credit card reconciliation. Compile supporting documentation for all credit card expenditures, assign accurate account coding, upload and post transactions for review by Controller.
- Create and send invoices as needed. Assure that all information is accurate and follow-up on any payments not received.
- Take meeting minutes for Finance and Audit committees
- Assist with quarterly fund statement preparation
- Set up wire transfers in banking system
- Update bank transfer spreadsheet for capital calls and distributions
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the Accountant and it is expected that this position will handle other related activities as needed to maintain strong finance operations at AAACF.
Experience, Education and Residency
- At least two years of professional experience in an accounting role
- A bachelor’s degree is a plus but not required in the case of applicants with highly relevant work experience
- AAACF will prioritize candidates who reside in or are willing to move to Washtenaw County, Michigan.
Desired Skills and Personal Qualities
- Attention to detail to ensure that tasks are completed on time, thoroughly and accurately with limited oversight.
- Embraces a “servant leadership” mindset and sets a positive tone in the office
- Takes pride in providing outstanding care and service to both internal and external customers
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; has a demonstrated ability to communicate and interact assertively while maintaining a positive tone
- Ability to organize, manage and complete a wide variety of assignments and tasks simultaneously
- Enjoys and thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Flexibility to adjust to new tasks should organization or office needs change
- Has a team focus
- Professionalism, diplomacy, and strong judgment, including respecting confidential and sensitive data
- Has excellent analytical and positive, problem-solving mindset, including a sense of humor and the ability to effectively navigate potentially stressful situations
- Excellent interpersonal skills to build strong relationships with colleagues
- Ability to follow set procedures while seeking opportunities to improve processes
- Passionate about AAACF’s mission
- Excellent Excel skills and proficient with other office software (MS Word, Gmail/ Outlook)
The annual full-time equivalent salary range for the position is $54,000 to $60,000 ($32,400 to $36,000 for 24 hours per week or 0.6 FTE), based on experience. The Foundation has a generous benefits package for part-time employees which includes flexible hours; health, dental and vision insurance; a 403(b) plan with contribution matching; life insurance; short and long-term disability insurance; flexible and childcare savings accounts; paid time off; and other benefits.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and answers to the three questions below to [email protected] (no phone calls, please). You may address the cover letter to Janis Holloway (the foundation’s Controller). The three questions to be answered are:
1. What makes you an exceptional candidate for this position?
2. Why AAACF?
3. What is your experience working with not-for-profit organizations and why does working in this industry appeal to you?
AAACF is an equal opportunity employer.