CMF’s event calendar includes standalone learning opportunities as well as regularly scheduled monthly events through several learning series.
CMF-Johnson Center Grantmaking Series
CMF partners with the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy to offer this practitioner-led learning series that teaches the techniques of effective grantmaking to both new and seasoned foundation professionals. The sessions are highly practical and designed to be as accessible and affordable as possible. Participants who complete the series will receive a Certificate of Completion.
This year, we will offer four live webinars (1.5 hours each). To qualify for the Certificate of Completion, participants of the 2019 Grantmaking Series must complete 12 hours of training; the hours completed can be taken live from the current series offerings or by purchasing on-demand recorded webinars. **Participants with contact hours from 2018, not amounting to the 12 hours required for training, may carry these into 2019 to successfully complete the series.
Participants in this series must complete all training by December 31, 2019 to qualify for a 2019 Certificate of Completion.
Click the links below to purchase the live or on demand webinars or for more information. Questions about the CMF-Johnson Center Certificate program Contact Andrea Judd-Shurmur, Director, Learning Services via email or 313.960.4192.
2019 Series - Live Program and Webinar Offerings
- - Build and Maintain Grantee Relationships - originally held September 24, 2019
- - Set Your Strategy - originally held June 25, 2019
- - Do Your Due Diligence - originally held March 26, 2019
- - Beyond the Basics: Simplified Grant Applications - originally held December 4, 2018
- - Ethics in Grantmaking: Dimensions, Dilemmas and Decision Making - originally held October 18, 2018
- - Funder Collaboratives: The Potholes, Potentials and Possibilities - originally held July 31, 2018
- - Beyond the Basics: A Closer Look at the Fundamentals of Financial Analysis - originally held March 13, 2018
- - Building an Organizational Culture that Withstands Change - originally held September 19, 2017
- - Successful Structures: Aligning Operations with Program in Service of Strategy - originally held February 28, 2017
- - Sharing Learning: Scaling up Replicability - originally held October 18, 2016
- - Analyzing Financials: Critical Aspects of Grant Applications and Form 990’s - originally held September 27, 2016
- - Communicating Progress on Strategy: Dashboards and Metrics - originally held July 19, 2016
- - Prudent Investments & Big Bets: Managing and Taking Risks with your Grantmaking - originally held April 26, 2016
- - Grant Applications: A Powerful Tool for Learning - originally held February 2, 2016
- - Accelerating Learning and Results in Complex Work: Four Mistakes Foundations Make - originally held December 8. 2015
- - Strengthening the Grant Review Process - originally held September 21, 2015
- - Funding General Operating Support - originally held July 14, 2015
- - Judging the Soundness of Proposals - originally held March 3, 2015
- - Linking Strategy, Evaluation and Grants Management - originally held January 20, 2015
- - Communicating with Grantees - originally held September 23, 2014
- - Grant Due Diligence - originally held June 24, 2014
- - Problem Grants and Exit Strategies - originally held May 27, 2014
- - An Introduction to Financial Tools and Tips When Analyzing Grants - originally held March 26, 2014
- - Strategic Planning: Managing the People and the Process - originally held January 21, 2014
Tri-State Learning Series
The Tri-State Community Foundation Webinar Series is a program made possible through CMF’s partnership with Philanthropy Ohio and Indiana Philanthropy Alliance. The webinars are designed for, but not exclusively for, community foundations.
The National Center for Family Philanthropy (NCFP) Series offers a monthly webinar with rotating topics focusing on family philanthropy. Complimentary webinar registrations are available as a benefit to CMF family foundation members.
Midwest Corporate Philanthropy Webinar Series
These webinars are designed specifically for corporate foundations and giving programs, made possible through CMF’s partnership with Indiana Philanthropy Alliance and Philanthropy Ohio.
Midwest Family Foundation Webinar Series
This series, designed for staff and trustees with non-staffed or small-staffed family foundations, is presented through CMF’s collaboration with Indiana Philanthropy Alliance and Philanthropy Ohio.
CMF collaborates with the Foundations Endowments and Family Offices (FEFO) to bring you a series filled with best practices on investing, addressing the unique challenges of managing family wealth, assisting with planning for optimal family legacy and helping to develop asset management talent in the West Michigan region.
CMF Mentoring Program
The Mentoring Program was created to ensure that a pipeline of diverse professionals receive the tools, strategies and resources needed to assume leadership roles in philanthropy. During the program, mentees receive executive coaching, engage in group learning and networking sessions, and they are paired with mentors who are experienced professionals in the philanthropic sector.
Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy (EPIP) Michigan, a chapter of EPIP National, is a statewide network of emerging leaders working in philanthropy and supporting social change. EPIP’s goal is to develop and support Michigan leaders by curating knowledge and content rooted in equitable philanthropy, providing opportunities for professional and leadership development and creating space for networking and relationship building. CMF is proud to partner with EPIP to support the next generation of philanthropic leaders. Learn more.